BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 29, 2013

How do you challenge yourself?

This past weekend, I finished one of the hardest things I've done in a very long time. I ran the hilly Nashville Country Music Marathon in the pouring rain with winds that were so hard at times, the rain actually stung when it hit my face. As I went through the course, I experienced some highs and some lows...each one challenging me to go on and finish the race.

Despite the rain, cooler temps and gusty winds, it wasn't all bad.  I learned a few things about myself. I also strengthened my resolve and found out that determination and preparation is a great driving force.  Had I not spent the many months training (at times in inclement weather), I would not have been able to finish. If I listened to the voice in my head that was telling me to quit, I would not have achieved a Personal Best that day.

When I started out, I felt great. During the first 10 miles, I had energy like never before. Perhaps the bands playing music along the course energized me. Maybe it was the excitement of the other runners (over 30,000 that day) that spurred me on. The spectators were also great, cheering and high-fiving along the way. I thought, "Wow! I can do this and I may even run fast enough to qualify for Boston!"

Once the half-marathoners left the course, at about mile 11 or so, the story changed. The rains began to come down harder and the winds picked up. Some of the puddles were so deep, they covered my running shoes. There wasn't a part of me that wasn't wet or cold. The crowds weren't as plentiful and runners seemed far and few between.  I was left to the thoughts in my head that were screaming at me. My left knee was hurting and I was beginning to feel disoriented as the rain pelted non-stop.

Between mile 17 and 18, I saw my sweetheart standing there waiting to cheer me on. I ran over to the side and asked him to pray for me as my legs were hurting quite badly. He very kindly said, "Honey, you don't have to go on, you know." With that I responded, "I'm doing this! I'm not going to let this race defeat me!" From there I went on to finish the race. Weatherbeaten and tired, I crossed that finish line. No, it wasn't a Boston qualifier, but I achieved something that day...I learned that I can accomplish even the most difficult of tasks, as long as I set my mind on the goal.

So why am I writing about this? To brag a little, yes. After all, I'm proud of myself for completing the challenge I set for myself. It's also to let you know that without challenges in business, we will never grow as leaders, our businesses will stagger, and we'll eventually give way to failure.

The most important part of the process of succeeding is in the planning and preparation. I trained for many months. I listened to my body and learned how to fuel properly. I built up my endurance so I could run the distance.

In business, we also need to plan and prepare for success. As we go through the day-to-day aspects of our business, we should be following that plan, but we should also be open to learning more about our customers, their needs, and how we can serve them well.

There is always a better way to do something, but we can't find that way if we're stuck on what we think we know.  We need to be willing to listen. Even more, we need to be receptive to constructive feedback so we can change things, always for the success of everyone involved.

Every day we should be asking whether or not we are being challenged by what we are doing. It's how we grow. It's how we succeed. If you feel like you're going through the motions of your day, ask yourself, "How can I challenge myself to be better than I was yesterday?" Then work to answer that question each and every day.

0 comments: